Leaking flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all

We have had a small leak lately, seems to only show up in storms or high winds and given its location and the fact it's only leaking in downstairs not upstairs we have traced to the edge of the dormer (bungalow)

I have used roof sealant on the flat roof so fairly certain it's not that and I think it's the flashing

It seems in the wind one of the solar cables got caught under the edge of the flashing, this pulled it up, the cable has now been removed

Is it a case of tapping it flat again or will it need a sealant under it to hold it down? The spout from the dormer roof empties onto this and I suspect it's the wind blowing that back up under it, is it worth a short extension on that pipe?

And final question, there is also gaps between the tiles, will these need tapping down or can I simply fill them with some sort of sealant?

PXL_20231020_065405140.jpg
PXL_20231020_065411752.jpg

Sponsored Links
Dressing the lead back down would be a good starting point and i would also swap the downpipe end for an angle and fit a small length of pipe downwards closer to the gutter as the amount of rain from the flat roof could be deluging the flashing and causing it to travel under, so anything to reduce the water discharging onto the lead will be a good thing. As an extra the flashing could have done with been wider as it unfortunately aligns with the tile edge which is not ideal.

Quick question, would another strip of flashing over the edge of that flashing to the middle of the next tiles work or best replacing

It's a 1970s build and as far as I know that's the original flashing

Yes, no need to remove the original lead and i would place it under the lead and extend it to the middle of the next tile, would be worth using a good sealant to bond them together too.

Sponsored Links
Cheers will look at flash band etc and see what I can do

Failing that will get a roofer

Don't get me wrong I'm a DIYer at heart but don't mind admitting if it's too much

Morning all

We have had a small leak lately, seems to only show up in storms or high winds and given its location and the fact it's only leaking in downstairs not upstairs we have traced to the edge of the dormer (bungalow)

I have used roof sealant on the flat roof so fairly certain it's not that and I think it's the flashing

It seems in the wind one of the solar cables got caught under the edge of the flashing, this pulled it up, the cable has now been removed

Is it a case of tapping it flat again or will it need a sealant under it to hold it down? The spout from the dormer roof empties onto this and I suspect it's the wind blowing that back up under it, is it worth a short extension on that pipe?

And final question, there is also gaps between the tiles, will these need tapping down or can I simply fill them with some sort of sealant?

View attachment 317694View attachment 317695
Don't be tempted to use sealant. Don't join the lead together, they are meant to be separate. Where you see that lap - the bottom lead piece should terminate under a tile. You could fix it with a soaker piece. Water should not be able to travel beneath, beyond the profiles of the tile. There may be a cracked tile under the lead. Carefully dress any gaps with a dresser to prevent insect ingress. More likely the side clad fixers have punctured the lead too low down with a fixing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back