Leaking from outside boiler drain after refilling central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I dropped my system to change 2 radiators I closed the valve and closed all the rads filled up the system to just over 1 bar open the bleed and filled up all the rads. I started the boiler up at just over 1 bar no leaks but my outside drain for boiler is dripping. And losing pressure could this be the vessel or should I drop the system and start again but stuck

Sponsored Links
Or does the vessel need re pumping up it’s a Vaillant Combi boiler

1. What is dripping?
1.1 The outlet of the pressure relief valve. Usually copper turned back to a wall with an elbow.
1.2 The condensate pipe. Usually white plastic and should go to a drain, preferably internal.
1.3 A drain cock attached to the boiler feed or return.
2. If 1.1 then check pressure on gauge. If above 3.0 bar, pressure relief valve is letting by. Check:
2.1 That the filling loop is fully closed. If not, close, and let water out (radiator bleed point) until around 1.3.
2.2 The expansion vessel (EV) has air in one half. Remove Schrader valve cap, depress valve. If water comes out (more than a few drops) EV need recharging or possible replacing.
3. If 1.1 and the pressure gauge is normal, get PRV checked and replaced if necessary.
4. If 1.2, water will come out of this while the boiler is running.
5. If 1.3 tighten square shank of valve. If doesn't stop leak, replace washer in drain cock (look for drain cock washers, get type A and type B). Not always easy to do, and wait until system is cold. Otherwise get drain cock replaced.

Sponsored Links
When I put water pressure to 1 bar on boiler it won’t go down straight away. The pressure does not go up it stays around 1 bar has the boiler warms up it starts to drip through elbow outside. If I turn off the boiler and pressure it. It seems to last a lot longer I have got the loop. Valve closed

Did you use the boiler pressure relief valve to drain the system?
If yes, there is your answer

That's just it I didn't I switched boiler off at mains,and open the valve at the lowest point and bled system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back