Leaking garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a concrete sectional garage which I suspect wasn't put up properly (not much in my house has been it seems).

It has a few points along the base of the walls where water leaks in slowly, and the roof has two points where water drips in. The base sits at least 6" above ground level, I think rain must be gathering on the lip and seeping in (the lip sticks 4-6" out from the wall all round).

The roof is corrugated metal and looks to be put on properly - no lining so I can see the underside and I can't see any gaps but it still leaks.

What would be best to use to plug the gaps in the roof and leak-proof the walls/base? I'll be wanting to use the garage to store shop stock from september so it needs to be dry!

Sponsored Links
It is a design issue and one that i have commented upon many times on this forum.

I can not see the logic in casting a slab that is larger than the intended building, only for water to gather upon this "toe" and run into the building.

Either you build a strip footing with brickwork to the exact size of the building or chamfer the toe so that the water runs off.

A wander around the search facility will reveal my opinion of slab and raft type bases.

It is a pain in the backside. And it looks hideous too.

Is there anything I can do to fix it? Maybe render a slope around the join, something like that? Or anti-leak sealing stuff (can you tell I'm not a builder-type yet...?) inside?

Sponsored Links
You could try pointing a chamfered fillet or run-off, but success may be limited as seasonal and thermal movement is likely to crack the fillet.

If you do use a mortar fillet use mainly sharp sand and cement with a pinch of softer sand just to give it a bit of body.

Make sure you clean the area first then damp it down prior to applying the muck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back