Leaking Gland Nut question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI there

I recently moved into a house, with the normal old radiators etc. However I have noticed one of the radiators is leaking. If i take off the control cap which has SupaFlow on it (if that helps) when you turn the radiator up or down black water either drips, or actually continually runs from the area marked with a red arrow on the pic I have attached.

My question is (after researching) I believe it is the Gland Nut, however are these a standard size? Would the local plumbing merchant sell these?

Are there any other requirements/things to know before going to purchase the replacement? Is it an easy job? As I may do them all in the house as none of the controls actually move as there all painted up etc.

Thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
Close the valve
Undo gland nut
Wrap ptfe tape around spline below nut
Push tape down
Re-tighten gland nut
Open valve

Is that all I need to do to fix the problem? No need to buy new ones? If the Valve is closed no water to flood the house, I have time to clean them up so they actually spin freely?

When you say around the Spline exactly what part is that? Sorry to have to ask :)

I would wrap a couple of towels or a dust sheet around and under the pipe it might drip or dribble out slowly but won't flood

It is what I would do

Sponsored Links
Great well will be off tomorrow to buy some PTFE tape or string, do you personally have a preference ??? And I just wrap it around the bit inside the nut, not sticking out the top :)

Thanks again

Gary

Never seen the string but probably works

The idea is to make a packing ring that the gland nut will push on to

Well will give it a go tomorrow with the one I know that leaks for sure, if all goes to plan will be doing the rest in the house as some dont even move due to the years of paint thats on them.

If i dont let you know how it went tomorrow thats because I have drowned :)

Sorry to trouble you again! Quick question the leak I have I turn just that control on the radiator down to 0 and then undo the nut? Or do i close of both ends of the radiator?

Thanks again

You can do both but shouldn't need to

It's a confidence thing just get everything ready have a few towels down and go for it

If the amount if water coming out scares you just tighten the gland but back up again have a cup if tea and try again

Oh and don't go over the top with the tape

Pull off about 30-40cm and roll it accross your thigh so it looks like a bit of string and wrap it round about 4-5 times and break off excess

Where that but is now it will slide up once loosened wrap the tape here and push it down with a screwdriver so it is below where the gland nut tightens into

Good grief.

They are old and look like crappy.

Get the the things replaced instead of bodging old stuff.

A new radiator valve only costs £3. Nice and shiny new with a nice
new plastic cap.

Are they easy to fit etc? If you cant tell not very DIY enabled :)

But was thinking either clean them all up, or purchase new ones but would that mean draining system etc ?

Any guides on doing this?

Are they easy to fit etc? If you cant tell not very DIY enabled :)

But was thinking either clean them all up, or purchase new ones but would that mean draining system etc ?

Any guides on doing this?

Buy a DIY book.
A couple of large moveable spanners.
Radiator key and away you go you can amuse yourself
on a sunday and have nice shiny radiator valves all around
the house. If you have old valves probably a good idea to
put a few thermostatic valves in there in some of the bedrooms
to control room temperatures and save a bit of gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back