Leaking heat exchanger on Glowworm Ultimate 120FF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Glowworm Ultimate 120FF boiler of around 10-14 years old has been leaking from the heat exchanger and its recently got a lot worse. A local engineer has told me that the heat exchanger has to be replaced and Glowworm also say the same thing. You can clearly see it leaking between the 2 halves of the cast iron exchanger.

The issue is that everyone agrees that this is an unecomnical repair at around £500 just for the part but we have just moved into the place and plan to move the location of the boiler so don't want a new one in the same place.

What we need is an interim solution. Something to get us going ahead of purchasing a new one and relocating. We can't afford to spend the money twice.

Does anyone have any suggestions about whether anyone could repair the existing heat exchanger or some other innovative way of bridging the gap until we can get the buliders in and move the boiler? 2nd hand boiler perhaps?

Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
As an interim measure (not sure how long you are talking about though), why not just get a couple of cheap electric heaters and use the immersion on your tank

for a temp bodge try fernox f4 leak sealer. (3 or 4 bottles).

Thanks both. The leak seemed too big to be fixable with Fernox. It would have been worth a go before we let it get so bad.

For some reason, the immersion was not wired up. Perhaps just a lazy installer? One trip to B&Q later and the interim looks set to be some cheap convection heaters and an immersion wired in using suitable cable to a 13 amp socket which although at the max end of what you'd wire in to 13 amps seems to be working fine.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
if its not on a dedicated circuit I'd say at the very least, stick an rcd plug on it just to give yourself some protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back