Leaking Hot Water Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My hot water cylinder has developed a leak at one of the inlets. I got a plumber over to have a look at it and he said the cylinder was "furring" and that it was best to have it changed. He quoted £450 for supply and fit.

I would appreciate the feedback of any other tradesmen regarding the possibility of repairing the leak. I did some research and it seems like there is usually an "Essex Boss" at the inlets. Could it be simply a case of replacing this fitting, or even patching up with Fernox.

The connection itself has quite a bit of hard water deposit all over it. Some photos here:

http://s1230.photobucket.com/user/minorca_mai/library/?sort=3&page=1

Thanks,
Andrew

Sponsored Links
If it's the tank itself where the leak is coming from.
Get it replaced instead of trying to bodge it.
Sure you can mess about with it and copper weld it up with silver solder.
But not worth it get it replaced.

A new indirect stainless steel cylinders start at about £150+vat for a 120 litre one. Or you could improve the water and go for an unvented cylinder and have mains pressure hot water.

A new cylinder will most likely heat up much quicker than your old one.

Change the cylinder, trying to repair that might just make it worse.
£450 is, in my opinion, not an unreasonable price.

You could waste a lot of the chaps time and your money trying to dismantle, clean and try to repair, only to find it can't be. Even then if that's the deposits outside, it's a sign of how 'furred' up it will probably be on the inside.
It snds a fair enuf quote and will be so much better in the long run

Sponsored Links
I also usually charge £460 in London so I would agree that's a reasonable price!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back