leaking hot water cylinder.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small hole on the seam on the side of the copper hot water cylinder. Is there any compound that can be applied to the side of the tank to stop the leak for a temporary repair?

Sponsored Links
you could try but i have never know them to work

best to change it asap as it will only get worse

greensleeves said:
I have a small hole on the seam on the side of the copper hot water cylinder. Is there any compound that can be applied to the side of the tank to stop the leak for a temporary repair?

No.

Saw one fixed with a galvanised self tapping screw with lsx seal which so far has lasted 3 years, if you are brave enough to chance it.
Pete

Sponsored Links
thanks. I'm not brave enough(or knowledgable enough) to try that fluffster.
You could be right, corgiman. Tried some plumber's mait, and after 4 applications its still leaking. At least its stenched the flow a little.

Trouble is that I want to get a new condensing system, so I'll be doing away with the hot water cylinder so don't want to replace it now.

If you are doing away with it soon you may aswell have a go at bodge repairing it.
P

Epoxy resin works so I have been told but as a tradesman I don't do DIY

Fernox LSX is surprisingly good at bodge leak repairs. problem you will have is that the pressure of leaking water will push it away from the hole. Best to empty the cyl, otherwise you will have to push a "bandage" of cotton or something smeared with LSX against the hole until it sets, then put more over the top.

It will stick your thumb to the hole if you don't wear disposable gloves.

lsx and sealents only work if the hole/leak is dry at the time, but the screw with a washer covered in lsx sounds like a great bodge!

Emptying cylinder and giving it a good clean, solder will take to it and seal small holes , trouble is doesnt always work first time.

grade D stick solder and a lump of 1.1/2 copper waste pipe flattened out will seal holes........even those for 2.1/2 inch essex flanges :LOL: :LOL: My family were Tinkers, y` know .............soldering over an open fire ;)

sheesh boys

by the time the poor lad has tried all these bodge jobs he could of changed the bleedin thing three times over

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back