Leaking internal stopcock which is attached to lead pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I require some advice please. I have an internal stopcock in the kitchen which is leaking slightly and causing an air lock in my property and when my next door neighbour uses their water and turns it off you can hear the pipes bang.

The bottom of the stopcock is attached to a lead pipe which looks like it is bulging.

How can I repair this small leak? I am presuming that this is what is letting in the air as I have had a new washing machine put with a cold only feed and wondered if this would be the cause of the air lock?

Either way the stopcock needs to be fixed but I am unsure how to go about it and whether it would be under United Utilities' remit (I doubt it)?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Zoe

Sponsored Links
If it is leaking from the gland nut around the spindle you can unscrew the gland nut wrap ptfe tap around the spindle pack down and screw down.

Any other leaks probably best to replace the valve.

The bulge in the lead is where the plumber has wiped the joint that connects the lead to the stopcock and perfectly normal

I've added photos of the tap

It is leaking where the spindle goes into the main part.

If I unscrew the handle off, will the water just be on full? The water isn't going to spurt anywhere is it?

Thanks

Zoe

Sponsored Links
Gently clean away all of that white crud from the spindle area - use a soft wire brush if you have one.
That should reveal the hexagonal gland nut......using an appropriate spanner, try to tighten it a fraction.
If that doesn't help, the nut should be unscrewed, and it will ride up the spindle. If it seems tight, work it to and fro gently. PTFE tape is wrapped clockwise around the spindle, and pushed down into the space left by the nut - it will be compressed more when the gland nut is screwed back in.
You won't get a flood by doing this, maybe a few more drips than normal.
As the others have said, the bulge of the lead is normal.
So, don't heave the stopcock about at all - lead is tougher than you think but needs a professional to repair! Give it an easy time.
Incidentally, air won't get in there - the airlock problem will be somewhere else, I feel.
John :)

Thank you very much for your help! You have been great! I'll give it a whirl this weekend!

Zoe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back