Leaking stopcock with lead pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_1367.jpeg

My mate’s new place, which is a fixer upper.

Unfortunately the stopcock is leaking from the tap thread. Ideally you’d replace the whole pipe but he’s not got the money for that.

I’ve done a bit of diy plumbing but never worked on lead before, so looking for some steer here before messing anything up!

Water can be turned off outside, so I was thinking of removing the cabinet, then cutting the lead pipe below the bulbous bit, and fitting a 1/2" lead-loc fitting. Then new stopcock etc in copper.

Anything I’m missing with that plan or anything particular I should or shouldn’t be doing when installing the lead-loc fitting?

Thanks in advance
Andy

Sponsored Links
If it's leaking from the spindle,there may be a gland that can be re packed. Clean it up and show us another picture.

Just ensure it's the correct size - usually is gauged in the imperial and lead weight (lb's), there are 2x1/2" sizes if I remember rightly, - ensure the lead is super clean and fully round. Sometime find it easier to use a plasson/philmac transition coupler.

Try to cut the lead pipe square, clean the outside of the pipe, you may have to file the pipe down a bit to get lead loc on. Normally 7 or 9lb
Probably 7lb

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the input folks, really appreciate the fast replies.

I will ask for a cleaned up picture to see what’s what.

I saw that toolstation had 3 weights (5,6 and 7 lbs to a 15mm fitting) so was going to buy one of each.

Not heard of a plasson/philmac transition coupler before, but if that’s a better solution I can get one ordered.

Cheers
Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back