Leaking Isolation Valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well not only leaking but spraying in my face !. They were fine until I went to turn them off to do some work on a tap and as soon as they were in the off position water sprayed out of the area around the slotted head.
I have known them to weep a bit but never that. In fact I don't ever recall one NOT weeping after being used after so many years - what is it with those. :mad:
Its not my house but my mates but when I left one seemed ok but another was still very slightly weeping so I put some stixall around it, supposed to work even under water.

Sponsored Links
They can when they get old. I think they either degrade or lime pushes under seal like it's does in kettles causing leaks.
Any problems best replace with a branded one

Thanks What would be a branded one - would I get one from screwfix or toolstation i wonder.
Seems like you need pre isolators so you can replace the isolator when they fail :ROFLMAO:

Flowmasta. Pegler and others are branded.

Some bargain price fittings sold with unknown manufacture but I avoid

Sponsored Links
Flowmasta. Pegler and others are branded.

Some bargain price fittings sold with unknown manufacture but I avoid
Just looked at screwfix they have pegler and flomasta - the flos are much cheaper then pegler- they still classes as a good make.
Also I see "full bore" ones - when would I need one and whay are they not all full bore, I never knew there were 2 types.
Thanks

Toolstation only seem to do "made for trade" ones - compression anyway.

EDIT
I was wrong when I said toostation only sell "made for trade". I searched for isolator but they sell pegler under "service valve" :oops:

Last edited:
Full bore are essentially used on low pressure/ gravity fed systems to increase the flow to taps/ showers etc.
Choose pegler ,they are more reliable than any other brand in my opinion.

Full bore are essentially used on low pressure/ gravity fed systems to increase the flow to taps/ showers etc.
Choose pegler ,they are more reliable than any other brand in my opinion.
Thank you that makes sense.
I was wrong when I said toostation only sell "made for trade". I searched for isolator but they sell pegler under "service valve" :oops: £6.48 against flowmasta at £1.16 in screwfix thats a big difference.
I like the look of the pegler as they have a good body section to get a spanner on wheras the flowmasta I usually use grips.

Heres one for you as they are service valves and not usually seen why are they all chrome. Would be cheaper wouldn't it if they are just brass. And what are the flowmaster made of £1.16 barly covers the cost of the brass doesnt it

If you can afford the Pegler one then use that. In a years time you will have forgotten about the £5 extra cost but will have a valve which works reliably.

Edit: The last cheap one I had at home dripped water into the electrics of a fridge and I had to buy a new valve and a new fridge. :(

If you can afford the Pegler one then use that. In a years time you will have forgotten about the £5 extra cost but will have a valve which works reliably.

Edit: The last cheap one I had at home dripped water into the electrics of a fridge and I had to buy a new valve and a new fridge. :(
Yes will be buying pegler from now on. thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back