Decent Quality Isolation Valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Exploratory Topic

Where can I source decent quality / high quality isolation valves, for use with taps/cisterns/waging-machines & the like in the family home?

What brand?

What make?

I am specifically seeking ones with reliability & longevity in use. Ones that will work when there is an emergency - even after a few years & won't leak.

I am very interested in fellow members opinions on this topic.

Again - I am sourcing ones for use in my own family home.

(We'll all seen the cheapo iso valves (from screw-fix and the like) that are fitted under tap flexis and on washing machine + cistern inlets. When you need them, they weep/fail. If you're lucky - they will stop weeping after some time, yet still - these are a false economy for the property owner).

Sponsored Links
Pegler and Conex are reputed in the industry. There’s other's available, but these are what I’ve heard of and would trust. Obviously, you can get good and bad in a lot of stuff.

I use the full-bore Peglers. Good flow and seem fine. The T-handle ones look neater if exposed but the lever handles are easier to operate.

red or blue for hot or cold.

more expensive, obv.

Sponsored Links
If I'm on a budget job, yes, nothing wrong with Screwfix own, the full bore tend to feel better than the reduced bore.
But the quality of a pegler (British) or conex (German) is very clear to see.
Everything leaks eventually if left long enough and good quality fittings will last longer.
Flowflex are another good uk manufacturer.

The full bore ones are generally better quality than the standard ones. About 5× the price though so it's a significant additional cost if you're doing a whole house.

This is the crux of the problem.

The cheapo screwfix ones - weep through the slotted valveheads. Its happened time & time again.

When u need/turn them - they leak.

I'm looking to replace all of the cheapo ones in the family home - and am seeking fellow members opinions on,

A) selecting high quality alternatives/brands

B) supplier

Last edited:
Screwfix don't just do budget stuff, the lever arm pegler iso valves are quality, easier to turn off (in an emergency and otherwise) and are full bore. So worth the extra cost if you are doing it yourself. You will have to cut out some extra pipework if replacing a screw turn valve.

Blup

I use the full-bore Peglers. Good flow and seem fine. The T-handle ones look neater if exposed but the lever handles are easier to operate.

red or blue for hot or cold.

more expensive, obv.

Do the peglers & the connex units come with metal t-handles or are they plastic.

Always find the plastic ones go brittle and break when needed after a couple of years.

Most full bore ISO lever valves will come with metal handles. It's normally just the appliance valves and the black ISO valves that have plastic handles.

Do the peglers & the connex units come with metal t-handles or are they plastic.

Always find the plastic ones go brittle and break when needed after a couple of years.

the Pegler T handles are enamelled metal. By the feel, probably a zinc/aluminium alloy. The lever handles appear to be steel strip.

So it would seem that it's either:

A) Pegler
B) Connex
Or
C) Flowflex

I'm curious about 'FlowFlex'

What are other members opinions about flowflex isolators?

Have many if you heard of them. What's the quality like compared to the peglers/connex?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back