decent quality isolation valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guy's

Can anyone recommend some decent quality isolation valves to replace existing to some hot water fan coils. recent repairs has shown several are leaking so the client wants them all replaced to prevent future issues

most are 15mm with a few 22mm one

Decent makes which will fit in place of originals as there isn't any room or much movement of the pipework to accomodate larger ones etc

Are 'gas' spec valves generally better than std water ones for example?

Sponsored Links
Genuine branded Ballofix valves. They have an Allen key socket as well as a screwdriver slot. Or Water Oil Gas lever valves.

I wouldn't have thought any local isolating valve would be fit for purpose. But no doubt they have worked ok for years so get the genuine "Ballofix" brand, as suggested above and in your first pic.

Are the valves in the first picture not the Ballofix?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't have thought any local isolating valve would be fit for purpose. But no doubt they have worked ok for years so get the genuine "Ballofix" brand, as suggested above and in your first pic.

The orginals have been there since 1988.

The 22mm pair on the left, which are not leaking at the glands, are Ballofix. The 15mm pair, which are leaking, are not Ballofix.

The 22mm pair on the left, which are not leaking at the glands, are Ballofix. The 15mm pair, which are leaking, are not Ballofix.

Granted they may not be leaking MM, but they're in no better nick than the cheapies on the right!! And it's a brave man that would put his Allan key anywhere near them, here's one that wouldn't.........Spent far too many Friday nights, draining down, repairing things like that & going home to find my Dinner in the Dog!!!............ :cry:

has anyone ever used them? if not you be better taking them out all together.

www.cottamandpreedy.co.uk/

Contact Cottam & Preedy

Telephone Enquiries
0121 552 5281

Telephone Order Hotline
08000 825837
Fax
0121 552 6895
Email Address
[email protected]
Company Registration Details
Registered in England No: 00562817
Registered Office
Bishopsgate Works, 68 Lower City Road, Tividale, West Midlands, B69 2HF

There make the best iso valves that i've know off.

Ballofix, Pegler, Kuterlite, all part of the Aalberts organisation.
Never had a faulty one from any of those brands returned as faulty.

has anyone ever used them? if not you be better taking them out all together.

Valid question but as the system is quite old we now have to change 6 of the 4 port valves. I tied to isolate them and tbh all did but one of the valves started leaking. (then stopped again). Quite probably the first time it's been turned shut in it's 24 year life!

So we have 37 FCU that if one needs a new 4 port valve- 7 currently do btw- then it's a full drain down (no zone isolation) so it made sense to ask the landlord if he wanted all new valves on the hot side.

He asked me for an 'on the spot' quote so he could progress it. So I went with 3 quid a valve and labour. However when I got the quote back them there Ballofix bad boys are 7+ ea :oops:
Now if I can get nearer the 3 quid mark I went with I would take the hit but more than double is painful so I guess I need to ask Cottam & Preedy

http://www.cottamandpreedy.co.uk/

would these be the ones to go with?
Ball Valves - DZR

Get a quote from BSS or Pipline if you want a few of them.

Get a quote from BSS or Pipline if you want a few of them.

My Plumber (who will be doing the labour only work) did as he is providing the 4 port valves and they came out at £7 something ea and the 22mm a tenner ea

I need 70 x 15mm and 4 x 22mm ones so we're around £500 which is a fair amount...

For that quantity you should get that price right down.

It was an off the cuff price so go back to the guy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back