Leaking joints / fittings on shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been having a small issue with some leaking joints since yesterday.

I have a Triton Mimosa Dual Control Mixer Shower.

http://secure.tritonshowers.co.uk/media/custom/upload/File-1361538916.pdf

My leaking joints are located on the inlets of the valve main body. These are 1/2" BSP threads and fitted to them are 90degree bends (compression fittings) 1/2" to 15mm.

http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/en/plu...stex-45-male-iron-elbow-90-degree-15mm-x-1-2/

The leak is on the valve body to fitting. I have to back the fitting out a little in order to pick up on the inlet pipework that runs down the wall, so the fittings are not all the way in. I have used PTFE tape and Plumbers Mait, but the leak persists (albeit small and slow drips).

Additionally, I have a leak from the shower arm to rear entry fitting. The rear entry fitting is basically a male 1/2" BSP thread that picks up on an elbow in the wall, whilst the other end is plain, with two O-rings built into it. The shower arm slides over the fitting and held in place by a grub screw.

http://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/media/15236/shower_arms_rear_entry.pdf

Any help would be greatly appreciated. At the moment I have the whole thing isolated until I fix the leak.

Cheers in advance,

T

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Any thoughts on the rear entry fitting - the two O-ring thing?

If it has O rings it shouldn't need anything else

That's not helpful considering it is leaking :LOL:

Should I apply any other type of sealant. Please see link above that shows arrangement.

Perhaps I am overtightening the grub screw underneath, creating a good seal on top but not below?

Are there fibre washers or rubber seals in the fitting on the mixer that seal the inlet valves to the 1.2" BSP elbow? May need replaced.
Rubber O rings are probably worn or going hard over time with so many heat cycles. Try new O rings with a small touch of silicon grease prior to refitting.

Rubber O rings are worn or going hard over time with so many heat cycles. new O rings with a small touch of silicon grease prior to refitting.

O-rings are brand new, silicon grease applied and still leaking slightly.

Overtightening grub screw?

Maybe use a slightly larger tighter O ring. The fitting may have worn a little over time and now it doesn't seal properly.
The grub screw only keeps it in place, though it may have been overtightened and now the pipe may not sit perfectly straight at the seal.

It hasn't been tightened to the point where it has punctured the arm has it?

It hasn't been tightened to the point where it has punctured the arm has it?

No, the fitting is very thick and only has a small mark where the grub screw lands.

The grub screw has a 'home' in the arm, which then picks up on the fitting so I am sure nothing has punctured.

Fair enough, ruling out everything else then it's back to the 0-ring, only thing it can be as it's the only thing that seals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back