Leaking lean to roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a fairly large leak coming through the roof when it rains on the heavy side over the last few week, can't see where it might be coming from but it's coming down the internal wall in the middle of the picture attached. An up ideas on a quick fix while I get cash together for a trade to fix properly? The area is really hard to access as the neighbours won't allow anyone into their side and it's a lean to roof so worried about going onto it too much to the to patch etc

Attachments

• IMG_20230914_103918.jpg
    IMG_20230914_103918.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 83
Sponsored Links
Probably the flashing which has failed. A quick fix, is self-adhesive flashing.
I have some DIY doctor flashing tape but I'm struggling to access the whole section to put it on, neighbour won't let me to access via their side and I'm worried about putting too much weight on my lean to roof to tape it up, not sure which part to put the flashing on either.

Sponsored Links
A completely unreasonable neighbour....

Is the gutter, top left of the photo, which appears to discharge onto your roof, perhaps your neighbour's gutter?
It is yes and I have today spoken with their landlord to fix the gutter issue and end it before the boundary line but they won't give permission for me to go onto their side so I'm left with trying to use the tape or flashing paint to try to go over it all as a temp fix but worries I'll fall through the roof!

but they won't give permission for me to go onto their side so

Would a pair of steps, or a ladder, combined with a plank, far end resting on the wall give you access?

I think part of the problem, might be due to the excess water from your neighbour's gutter.

Would a pair of steps, or a ladder, combined with a plank, far end resting on the wall give you access?

I think part of the problem, might be due to the excess water from your neighbour's gutter.
I'll be trying that this afternoon to see how much I can access carefully and waiting on their landlord to visit their side, iv said I want the gutter taking back to before the boundary and then capping off or similar due to the water discharging onto my roof

As an update, the neighbours gutter has been doing better down into their garden rather than out onto my roof and I managed to get some flashing tape up in the section.where their gutter was discharging water out onto my roof,.hoping it will do until budget allows a perm fix,.have more wider flashing tape coming in the morning so might expand the area a bit more ahead of the storm.on the way

As an update, the neighbours gutter has been doing better down into their garden rather than out onto my roof and I managed to get some flashing tape up in the section.where their gutter was discharging water out onto my roof,.hoping it will do until budget allows a perm fix,.have more wider flashing tape coming in the morning so might expand the area a bit more ahead of the storm.on the way
I appreciate you might not want to go down this route, however if the gutter physically encroaches onto your property based on title deeds, I would find out exactly what your rights are and the obligations on next door to get it fixed. Depending on what you find out, send a signed for (polite) letter to the landlord requesting they complete the necessary repairs. Maybe also give a copy of the letter to the tenant to pass on if this is possible (i.e. without causing you more aggravation.)

If no feedback, I'd then speak to a solicitor re sending formal letter stating they need to get the gutter repaired (if indeed that's what the law says.)

This might appear OTT for a relatively trivial thing (faulty gutter) however as we all know faulty gutters can lead to much more significant issues.

Good luck with it all.

I appreciate you might not want to go down this route, however if the gutter physically encroaches onto your property based on title deeds, I would find out exactly what your rights are and the obligations on next door to get it fixed. Depending on what you find out, send a signed for (polite) letter to the landlord requesting they complete the necessary repairs. Maybe also give a copy of the letter to the tenant to pass on if this is possible (i.e. without causing you more aggravation.)

If no feedback, I'd then speak to a solicitor re sending formal letter stating they need to get the gutter repaired (if indeed that's what the law says.)

This might appear OTT for a relatively trivial thing (faulty gutter) however as we all know faulty gutters can lead to much more significant issues.

Good luck with it all.
Many thanks, the landlord sent someone round to them yesterday who took the guttering back to well before the boundary line and then added a down pipe into their garden.

Sponsored Links
Back