Leaking metal flat roof - repair or replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2m x 2m area of old metal (aluminium?) flat roof which is leaking in two small areas, badly enough to have brought an area of ceiling down. Seen from a few metres away, the roof looks sound enough to be worth keeping. Is it likely to be worth repairing, if so what's the best way? Or would I be wasting my time? The roof is not overlooked from anywhere so I don't care how the solution looks.

Sponsored Links
It might be an idea to give us a picture of the roof profile Andy, and let us see what damage has occurred.
Aluminium could be used but it's unusual, and it could be a case of brushing on a treatment such as Acrypol or maybe pop riveting a patch on.
John :)

Flashband or similar would stick ok to aliminum as long as you can find out were its leaking from.

Here's a picture. Looks like there's some cracking where the sheet has been folded. The leak is only happening where one of the water pools is, but maybe patching just that bit would push the problem along. What would the panel do?

I've actually no idea what kind of metal it is - aluminium was just a wild guess.

Attachments

• 2016-03-09 14.32.51.jpg
    2016-03-09 14.32.51.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 309
Sponsored Links
for such a small area, you might as well rip it up and start again, a 2m wide piece of metal is too big for one piece and it looks like it has buckled as it has expanded over time. You could try something like Acrypol, but you will have to clean it up first and as you suggest I expect you will just be postponing the inevitable

Hmmm, I suppose you're right. That roof (zinc??) must be pretty old.

So, the question is: what's the best solution for a 2m x 2m area, and is it realistically DIY-able? On a scale of 0 to 10, where 0 is 'everything I touch breaks' and 10 is 'virtually a professional', I'd put myself at about 5 or 6.

This roof will never be accessed, but I also have a 2m x 0.6m area over a bay window in the same stuff which is starting to go, and someone could potentially pop a chair out on that. Same or different solution?

Fibre glass, it's pretty forgiving as long as you make sure everything is sealed well with resin and an easy solution for the rainwater outlet.

Great - thanks for the heads-up chappers. Will it be strong enough for the roof that may have to withstand chairs?

yeah should be but would be careful with anything sharp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back