leaking or trapped moisture?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all
im having a few issues at the moment with water ingress into my conservatory its a lean to style with single block walls
some months ago i noticed some blowing of paint with plaster salts behind at the top of the left wall which is block with dot and dab plasterboard
when i bought this house the conservatory was newish but.. the external walls where bare breeze block which i have had rendered 9 months is ago
at first i thought the damp could be trapped moisture from when the blocks wear left open to the elements trying to escape and thought i would look into it later
recently my lighting in the conservatory went POP during sunday lunch after a few tests it was clear there was a break in the cable so pulled up my floor ran some new cables ect and thought time to tackle the damp wall while im making a mess
the lead looks fine however the coping stones im not sure about some have a fine green line in the morter joints and one is nearly loose could this be the cause ? should ther not be something under them to stop this happening other than the lead which looks like it starts halfway from the blocks then down to the roof
or could it just be trapped moisture?

Sponsored Links
pulled off the stones at the top today some were loose lots of bugs living in the morter joints and water underneath so i guess it was leaking :(

Didn't think copings were supposed to prevent water ingress, just provide an overhang to protect the face of the wall. A DPC under the copings provides the barrier to stop water coming down through the wall.

Sponsored Links
I really do not like parapet walls, they can be a nightmare.

As said, there should be a dpc running the entire thickness of masonry to prevent downward travel of any water.

Didn't think copings were supposed to prevent water ingress, just provide an overhang to protect the face of the wall. A DPC under the copings provides the barrier to stop water coming down through the wall.

just lead covering half the block and stones on top :(
pulled of the loose ones yesterday cleaned em up stuck em down again
they were wet underneath around the poor morter joints dont have the time at the moment to do all with dpc hoping this will hold untill better weather comes along

It seems to be a moisture. But if you can send the pictures the it would be a great help.

It seems to be a moisture. But if you can send the pictures the it would be a great help.

not much point taking pictures right now
coping stones have been stuck and pointed and plaster board removed around the damp patches blocks still the wrond shade of grey :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back