Two chimneys removed about six months ago, question about moisture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bungalow's two chimneys were removed about six months ago - one hadn't been used for over twenty years and the fireplace for it was (and of course still is) blocked off in the room.

The other one is from a small fireplace in my lounge.

I've just been up to the attic for something unrelated and had a look both of the remaining chimney stubs (which end just a few inches below roof level) - the one that's connected to the still open lounge fireplace has some moisture apparently on the underside of the new white roofing 'felt'. First time that I've noticed that but I've not checked for months and we have had a lot of damp air due to the lousy weather.

There is also a vent tile above this chimney (as there is for the other one) so the airflow is good.

Am I correct in assuming that this moisture on the underside of the felt is condensation because of moisture/warm air flowing up from the open fireplace in the lounge and then condensing on the cool/cold-ish felt? Of course there's none on the underside of the felt above the chimney with the sealed fireplace.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back