Removing chimney stack down to roof height - pros and cons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Looking for some general advice.

Have had water leakage into bedroom around my chimney. Have a quote which I happy with for replacing cracked tiles, refixing tiles, renewing cement around leading.

However, noticed that chimney also needs repointing and if the above does not work, I may need felt renewed or lead renewed.

Thinking of removing chimney completely and tiling over, but with the option to fit a liner for a wood burner in the future. Main points:-

1. Remove chimney to below roof level, but want to leave opening incase we put wood burner in. Can the rest of the chimney be left in a way which will allow this to happen?

2. Want to stop dampness in chimney, would a roof tile vent help to vent the chimney at the top (vent in the living room where we bricked up the fireplace)?

3. If a fit a burner in future, is a small stack suitable for a wood burner or must it be the height of the chimney to stop smoke getting in the roof space?

Any points which I need to take into consideration would be appreciated.
Thanks
Fluff

Sponsored Links
Not entirely sure i understand all of your bullet points.

Yes you can take the chimney down to below roof level, make good the roof and leave the stack open in the loft. Make sure the loft is vented.

If you decided to re-instate the chimney a reverse would happen and the stack would need to terminate at a suitable height above the ridge taking into account any nearby structures or trees etc.

The size of the stack would be such that it can accommodate a single flue.

If your intending on fitting a woodburner id leave the stack and get it repaired.

It will cost a lot more removing it and rebuilding it at a later date.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for the replies.

I didn't explain myself properly. If I remove the brick chimney now but want to install a wood burner later, do I have to have a chimney which is higher than the top of the roof or could I get a chimney liner put in with a aluminium chimney stack protruding from the roof by about 2-3 ft.

I was not intending to rebuild the current chimney but instead have a short metal chimney protruding from the roof tiles.

From what you have both said, I am assuming that my first thoughts were correct that the chimney needs to be higher than the ridge tiles assuming to prevent smoke getting back in the chimney therefore I need to repair my chimney.

Thanks
Fluff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back