Leaking pipe from "thingy" under sink... *pic*

1 Jan 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I have a leak under my sink, the leak in question is coming from the part i've crudely circled, I cannot see anything similar from googling "sink plumbing" what is part called in case i have to replace it and what is it actually for? and does anyone know how i'd go about stopping it leaking?

The leak only really occurs if i fill the sink and release the plug, it doesnt tend to happen if i have the tap running with the plug out.

Would appreciate any advice. [/img]
Sponsored Links
Its called a Ventapipe made by Mcalpine......they allow air into the drain to prevent gurgling and to allow better water flow. I guess the vent has stuck open due to waste gunge.
John :)
Thanks for the replies, is there an easy way of cleaning this vent/valve?

Does the top screw off or aything? I'm not at home at the moment so cant have a play with it?
Sponsored Links
You can certainly dismantle that part of the waste and give it a good wash....there's also a chance that its not needed anyway - very few sinks have them.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local