Bathroom sink leak every so often...confused, please help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

i thought i would register with this website as it seems that there are some really lovely and helpful people on here that give advice.

Okay so here goes and i hope someone can shed some light on this.

My bathroom sink leaks when draining away ..... not all the time and not lots... once in a while.
it seems to leak from the holes either side of the plug hole, i have added a picture and circled where i mean.
When it leaks i quickly look under the sink and there are two holes either side of the sink which seem to be outlets for the holes circled in the picture... im wondering why it is doing this.... i have a click up and click down plug, never leaks when plug is in only when i let water out and again only once in a while... ive checked for blockages..... clear
I am at my wits end on this one, i put the under sink cabinet back think its just a one off and then does it again.

Can anyone please help with what this might be?

Many Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
has it just been installed judging by blue strip around waste . did whoever installed it use silicon or supplied washers to join to basin . are you sure it isn't leaking down through thread of plug waste .

Search Google for "pop up waste". You'll see some with a hole/slot on the big threaded section, and some without. The overflow in the basin lets water run down 'inside the thickness' of the basin, and it runs back out through these slots into the drain (ie underneath your pop up bit). Thus the seal at the top doesn't really matter since water can be below it anyway - but the seal at the bottom, ie where the waste seals to the underside of the basin, needs to be good.

Sponsored Links
has it just been installed judging by blue strip around waste . did whoever installed it use silicon or supplied washers to join to basin . are you sure it isn't leaking down through thread of plug waste .
The blue is reflection of my tablet , i would say it was installed 3 years ago

Search Google for "pop up waste". You'll see some with a hole/slot on the big threaded section, and some without. The overflow in the basin lets water run down 'inside the thickness' of the basin, and it runs back out through these slots into the drain (ie underneath your pop up bit). Thus the seal at the top doesn't really matter since water can be below it anyway - but the seal at the bottom, ie where the waste seals to the underside of the basin, needs to be good.
Thank you for your message, but i never let the water rise up to the overflow this is what is confusing me
Thanks

Thank you for your message, but i never let the water rise up to the overflow this is what is confusing me
Thanks
But what happens if you do let water run into the overflow (with the pop up closed)? If it leaks it points you towards a problem with the bottom seal.

what's the name of that extra bottom seal he shows?

was he using some special wipe to clean away the excess silicone?

Thanks
But what happens if you do let water run into the overflow (with the pop up closed)? If it leaks it points you towards a problem with the bottom seal.
I suppose i really need to try that dont i just to check, thanks for the idea

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back