Leaking Pipe under sink, popping sound from radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

We had an issue with our dishwasher so got a guy in to fix it. Problem is our dishwasher works fine now but we have dripping from one of the upper joints of the brass piping under our sink. I had the dishwasher guy come back to look at it, but seems that he didn't do anything to that part of the piping. I tightened up the joint with a wrench so it doesn't leak so much, but it is still leaking and causing the pipe to sweat. The only thing the dishwasher guy said I could do was to tighten it up more or wrap it with tape, he didn't advice opening up to see as you would actually need to saw into it. Also around the same time I have been noticing pops and clicks from the walls and the radiators, at first I thought it was water dripping from a tap but when I put my ear the wall I could hear at more as a metallic click. You can especially hear it when the boiler is on. Does anyone know what is going on? I am just slightly concerned if nothing is done it might lead to some damage with the piping in the house. Would it be best to get the leak fixed up with a plumber?

Many thanks,

Attachments

• 149540380_437755430704533_2924311593813077579_n.jpg
    149540380_437755430704533_2924311593813077579_n.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 152
Sponsored Links
Erm ... which of the red circles is where the water is dripping from?

If it's the middle one at the end of the check valve then turn water off and draw the nut off it the valve, catch the water as you go, expose the olive and wrap a couple of turns of gas PTFE tape round it, especially the side that fits into the seat of the valve and then nip it back up.

Don't just keep tightening it, if it's pretty tight, as you'll just end up wrecking the olive and necking the pipe.

Sorry the picrure isn't clear it is actually just leaking from the red circle at the top. However because it was sweating at the time water was also dripping from the other red circled area.. Abit of brass pipe was left out on the side after the dishwasher guy finished might this be the olive, he said that he didn't go into that pipe though? I have no idea why suddenly it started to leak.

Attachments

• 20210223_222858.jpg
    20210223_222858.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 87
He probably disturbed it and started leaking, it happens to the best.
Do as madrab said and see if it works.

Sponsored Links
The piece of pipe you have in your hand is a cutoff piece of copper, not an olive.

If it's leaking from the top soldered pipe then the joint needs re-soldered. If he was working on the same pipe that the joint is part of, if the joint wasn't made correctly then the work could have caused it to weep.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back