Leaking pipe, very little space for fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a very strange problem that's been driving me mad all day!

I have a small leak in a 22mm cold water pipe, as a nail that was originally there (from years ago), was dislodged, causing the leak :cry:

I had to hacksaw the pipe as the hot pipe is virtually touching it (very few mm's inbetween pipes), so cut both pipes.

The trouble is, I can't get a fitting on and the pipe is full of water still and when I tried soldering, 2 of the 8 joints leaked :cry:

The 2 pipes have very little space between them, so I am a bit stuck here, I've never had a leak like this before with no room to fix it easily!

Any tips would be great please

Thanks for reading my post

Sponsored Links
You'll never solder a pipe that's full of water - it needs to be dry (or as good as).

A photo would help, but if I am reading you correctly you are trying to get a coupling on but can't get the two ends of the pipe far enough apart? If so, a slip coupling might be the answer.

You may also be able to clean and flux both joints, assemble and solder them one after another.

Hi thanks for your reply. The main problem is that I can't get a fitting on the pipe due to the other pipe, next to it (they are side by side), being so close. There's very little room to turn a compression fitting nut, it's madness! The pipes then go under the floor again, and there's ver little give in them!

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry I don't have a camera phone or camera at all! There's 2 x 22mm copper pipes, laying side by side, and there is a gap of 5mm at most in between, and I need to get a compression fitting onto one of the pipes! :cry: :cry:

OK,

Are you trying to use a coupler, an elbow, or a tee?

Is there any reason you can't drain the pipes?

Just a straight coupler - I can't get the pipe very dry, it runs flat, then to a basin bath and toilet

Do you have, or can you borrow, a wet and dry vacuum cleaner?

Or, can you put a wedge under the pipe, to raise it slightly? The water will run to the other end.

I think a solder coupling would be best, can you get one on the pipe, or will the ends not move far enough apart?

Sorry for all the questions, just a little hard to visualise it without a photo.

There will be a solution, we just haven't found it yet.

Thanks for your help, I don't have a wet vacm and the pipe will hardly budge! It's been annoying me all day! I think maybe I could get a compression fitting on if I can get about 5-8 mm gap between the 2 pipes

I take it that the pipes are notched into the floorboards, or in a chase - could you cut the notch a little wider? Or is the joint too close to some other fixed point?

Sometimes if one solution won't work, you have to try and think of another one that will :idea:

EDIT: Duh - floorboards! I meant joists :oops:

the pipes are in a notch, both in same notch, and I have lifted 2 boards, they go on to run into bathroom floor, there's not very much play. I'm hoping I'll be able to get a compression on tomorrow as there's about 5-8 mm gap between the 2 at best!

8mm should be enough for one compression fitting, but not two side by side.

You may have to lift some more floorboards to get room to swing a spanner, and cut the notches wider.

Use a wedge to hold the two pipes apart while you put the joint on.

Good luck tomorrow :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back