Leaking pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've got a load of old pipework in the loft that doesn't appear to serve any purpose. It has now started leaking so it's moved up the to-do list and I need to get on with sorting it.

There is a 22mm pipe that goes into a T shaped reducing fitting 22->15 (picture should be attached). The upright of the T has got some pipe in it that has been crimped off (which is now leaking). The other run of pipe dead ends at some sort of pressure (or other sort of) release valve, I suspect it was part of a heating system 2 or 3 boilers ago but has not been tidied up.

I'm planning on cutting the 22mm pipe before the T and sticking either a compression stop end (like this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/compression-stop-end-22mm-2-pack/38046) or try my hand at soldering a similar version. I've done electrical soldering before, how hard can it be right?

Is there any need to put in a valve at the top of the house to or any issue with just having a dead end living in the loft with a load of air stuck in it?

Or is there a more sensible way to handle this?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20190528_154954.jpg
    20190528_154954.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 103
Sponsored Links
If it’s leaking it must have some pressure or be full of water.

The pipe does have water in it, or did before I turned off the stop cock (stopped it spraying) and drained the system (presumably it'll have emptied but I doubt it's fully dry).

The bit pictured appears to be along a leg/spur (don't know the right term) from the mains cold water supply to the bathroom. The entire bit pictured does nothing at all, the crimped bit has obviously been chopped off and whatever the other leg used to do there's nothing connected anymore.

Edit: to try to be clear, there's a water supply to the bathroom. It splits and then the pipe wanders up to the loft where it then has the pictured junk. None of the pipework shown is serving a useful purpose as far as I can tell.

I'd be going back along the good (ie not corroded or leaking) pipe and cutting all that rubbish off to get some sound pipe to crimp/solder onto. When I get round to re-doing the bathroom i'll strip out the entire leg/spur.

Sponsored Links
Just be careful that whatever you do that the pipe is 22mm and not 3/4" imperial. The 1/2" isn't a problem but if it's 3/4" then that could be and that's a pretty old fitting and the crimped/soldered end is an old old way of sealing off a pipe.

It was 22mm, I'd checked with a set of calipers and then chopped the junk off, sanded it down, cleaned it and stuck a compression fitting on. No leaks so far, I'll find time to practice my soldering on some test bits before putting a more solid solution in place.

Thanks for the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back