Leaking Pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Complete plumbing novice here hence the following question

Tried to take a radiator off today, give it a little too much force and now the pipework to the rad valve is leaking (where the pipework enters the valve). Is it a case of putting in a new olive (cant nip it up anymore - its solid ((and painted many many times)). Please help before my wife divorces me cos of my DIY disaster history.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi , Did you have two pairs of grips one holding valve body while undoing bit nut to rad ! you may have kinked the pipe you would have to drain down to inspect and maybe put new olive on , hope this helps

Alternatively you could try a pipe freezing kit. Saves the drain down and re-fill.
It does what it says on the tin.

Okay, but what am I inspecting? is it too see if the pipe is flush? I feel stupid to get a plumber in to fix something so simple (i hope)

Regards

Sponsored Links
If you got to the stage of dropping the nut off you could probably pull pipe from rad valve and as you say inspect , it should be obvious if it damaged ie it should be straight and smooth for want of a better descript

If the nut has not been tightened then you should be able to loosen it and then tighten it.

It might help if you use a gas torch to warm it up first before loosening it.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back