Leaking Potterton Performa 24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I am working on a Potterton Performa 24 Combination Boiler.

Intitially, I was called because it had lost all pressure and had subsequently shut down. There were tell tale puddles of water under the boiler, so I searched for a leak.

On the Grundfos pump, the two connections, one to a pipe and the other to the manifold (3.00 and 6.00 if you look face on to the pump) were weeping. The o-rings were pretty much fossilized and had gone square and brittle, so after the surfaces were cleaned thoroughly, I replaced the o-rings with a smear of silicone grease. The pipe connection is dry, but the manifold connection still leaks!

These o-rings are Potterton parts in their own little bag of twenty, so parts are not cheap pattern *hite.............

I rung the 'help' line and was told that there was nothing that could be done!

The leak did seal when the boiler fired up and got warm, expansion of metals and all that. But what happens when the thing cools? Do they seal by themselves over a period of use?

Another problem, there is another leak coming from the combustion chamber at the front just below the flame window.

Does this mean the heat exchanger is shot, or in need of........you guessed it, new seals?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best

Jarker

Sponsored Links
Are you corgi? is this why you didn't open the ccombustion chamber?

If working on any part of the boiler you should be registered IMHO

hard to tell if we don't know WHAT is leaking. you should not open the combustion chamber if you are not sufficiently competent

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back