Leaking radiator valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've just found water slowly leaking out of the top of my radiator valve, just what you want to find on a Friday night ;)

Is this fixable temporarily til I can get to one of of the sheds for a new one?

The rad is pretty old it's never had a cap since I lived here. Not entirely sure what I'm doing but I have a spanner and PTFE tape if anything is possible?

Cheers

Larry

Attachments

• IMG_20221209_212107.jpg
    IMG_20221209_212107.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
is there a slot in there for a screwdriver or Allen key ?
Odd looking valve ,thought it had part missing at first glance

Hey Terry, yes there is a slotted screwdriver of some sort. I tried tightening it but it doesn't stop the water.

Cheers

Larry

Try turning it anticlockwise a few turns ( a bit more water may flow out ,be ready with a towel) and then screw down clockwise fully. Use the widest screwdriver possible.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Terry, I gave that a try but no luck, it's trickling out now, have tightened it as much as I can.

New valve required then.
Is system pressurised or fed from a loft tank ?
I wonder how much you can unscrew the thing outward ,without it spewing water out. If you can raise it enough to expose some of its thread ,you may be able to wrap some PTFE tape on the thread,and screw it back down. Bit risky though ,you don't want it flying out !!!

Thank you for your help Terry, it's fed from a loft tank, does that make any different to wether to attempt to get some PTFE on it?

There is still water present ,just under less pressure ,so a bit less of a risk.

Open the valve to allow the rad to work, then stick a cork or some sort of rubber bung in the top until you get the valve replaced.

Thank you for your help folks, valve replaced and heating back on just in time for the snow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back