leaking radiator with awkward plastice pipe size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,
The radiator in the bath room is connected by two plastic pipes (inlet and outlet). It is leaking from the valve. I undone it and found the olive damaged. I tried to replace the olive but it is very awkward, it is neither 10mm nor 8 mm. 10 is big for it and 8 is small. Any idea what to do or who to stop the leak.

Sponsored Links
is their any writing on the plastic pipe ?
has the pipe ever had an insert fitted ?

there is no writing on the pipe, it has been painted

When I undone the I found small damaged olive ring and compression screw

Sponsored Links
sorry I did not take any photo, the pipe is very old

I had to put it back quick to get the boiler going. All I did was to put pluming tape around the pipe end then fitted the 10 mm brass olive ring then I screwed it back, but it is still leaking, less then before.

sorry I did not take any photo, the pipe is very old

I had to put it back quick to get the boiler going. All I did was to put pluming tape around the pipe end then fitted the 10 mm brass olive ring then I screwed it back, but it is still leaking, less then before.

And you're confident that won't blow off at some point like when you're asleep or at work are you? :confused:

You could be right, but I do not think 1 bar pressure does blow it off. However, it is leaking so the pressure is always below 1 bar and it is the bathroom radiator on the ground floor. I am thinking of stiffening the pipe end with support sleeve/ insert then put 10 mm live ring

I think 1 bar will be plenty to do just that! The pressure will rise when you turn the system on as well. You'd be much better off finding out what it is and getting the right fitting for it - take a photo of it and post it on here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back