Leaking shiplap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got a shiplap shed which I use as a workshop. Unfortnately, the joins in the shiplap occasionally let small ammounts of water through. Wickes timbercare is on it at the moment but doesnt actually seal the joint. I was planning on putting a brown Dulux Weathershield onto the shed to hopefully seal the gaps. Would this work? Ideas also welcome. Thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
no.

even though shiplap has an overlap of the upper board over the one beneath it, they always shrink and expand according to the weather, so the gap changes size and shape. If they warp or cup, the boards may not even stay in contact. The cladding is always leaky to some exnt.

My approach is to treat the shiplap with a water-repellent breathing stain, as used on sheds and fences, but if you have a shed, you are better off felting the frame before fitting the boards. I suppose your shed is already built so too late :cry:

I suppose you could tack it on from the inside. You have to shape the bottom so that water runs outside the shed without wetting the timber

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back