Horizontal tounge and groove shiplap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am intending replacing the t and g shiplap on a shed.

It is currently vertical, but I won't need so much shiplap if it goes horizontally. I am aware which way up it must go.

To run it horizontally I would fit one length horizontally, followed by half a length. On the next course I would fit a half length, followed by a full length - so the joins are staggered.

My question is - is it a major no no to have these joins? I suppose vertical t and g means the rain will go straight down. I can seal the joints neatly with a brown caulk in between coats of preservative if required.

Where the joins are there are fairly substantial uprights to fix to, which will be treated first.

I suppose very large sheds and huts would have these joins, though I must admit I haven't actually noticed any on ordinary sheds.

So is running the shiplap horizontally with joins acceptable?

Sponsored Links
tongue and groove is not shiplap

horizontal is better as you can take off the bottom ones when they go rotten. use brass or stainless screws into pilot holes to make it easier, and cut a few spare boards. You might be able to store them in the void.

a bit of damp will get behind, so the void needs to be ventilated. If you treat all surfaces of each board before fixing they will be proteced better. Especially the cut ends.

staggering the joints is fine.

Shiplap is normally run horizontally, it's profile being designed for just that purpose. If it's not required for reasons of available length, or some such, then best to run them full length. Shiplap is normally available in 16 -22 feet lengths, in my experience...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back