Leaking Shower, Is This Beyond Help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I made a thread yesterday about my leaking shower but upon closer inspection and talking to the other half the situation has changed.

My shower is leaking in at least 3 places. All are in the corners of the shower. I've taken a few pictures to help you guys assess the situation a bit better.

The worst one is where the tiling, shower door and tray meets the wall. There appears to be a crack of some sorts in the wall. This leaks water not constantly, but occasionally but is still an issue as I want to plaster the wall on the opposite side (bedroom wall) but felt I should address this issue before hand. This leak has left a hole in the wall, just below the skirting board (so obviously didn't find it until I took the skirting off), last night I could stick my hand straight through it (from the bedroom wall) and knock on the bathrooms skirting board. It's not gushing water but leaves a small puddle on occasions.

Here's a picture of the crack in the wall (it's just under the tile)

DSC_1064_zpsbbaf5754.jpg

When we installed the shower door 3 years ago we had to install a line of new tiles as the original tiles were damaged when we took the old shower screen off. My other half and the father in law did this and they told me last night that they didn't waterproof the wall before hand and simply stuck the tiles to the wall. This is how the other side of the first effected bit looks from the other side.

DSC_1065_zpsf050998b.jpg

There's a big crack in the tiles grout and was wondering if we could just clean this out and re-grout it? The bath seal as well has started to go horrible too and was wondering if we could just re grout it add a better bath seal or does this all look beyond hope?

DSC_1062_zpsb6774019.jpg

The other side is slightly the same and is again in the far corner. We have been having problems with our shower door since we installed it and was reading that the frame needs to sit plumb and be sealed from the outside. Ours was sealed from both the inside and out (I think) and doesn't sit plumb? Should we look at replacing the doors too or is this repairable? We have had it leaking in between the shower tray and the enclosure onto the floor and the silicon hasn't really solved this and has just turned black.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Only my opinion, for what thats worth, but I reckon its time to blitz that job and start again.....the water leakage has been so constant that there could be other issues between the bathroom and the bedroom. Time to get rid of the enclosure and tiles, make good any wall damage with aquapanel sheets and retile onto a quality resin stone shower base, together with an enclosure thats properly fitted.
Does that sound a bit radical?
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back