Leaking soil pipe connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of replacing a toilet. Horizontal connection to cast iron soil pipe plus collar. The original pan connector has had to be replaced and was wrapped to the cast iron with some sort of waxed fabric stuff. It seems that the reason it was wrapped is the soil pipe itself, rather than the connection is weeping.

Long term we will look at having the pipe cut flush to the wall, but is there a short term solution so that we can keep a functioning toilet?

Sponsored Links
The original pan connector has had to be replaced and was wrapped to the cast iron with some sort of waxed fabric stuff

Yes, as above, Denso tape which is probably what was used before. Sticky stuff!

I don't suppose this is something that's likely to be available in a store with Sunday opening hours?

Sponsored Links
Source of the leak has been traced, the soil pipe is lined with lead for approx. 2 inches and water appears to be leaking back between the lead lining and the soil pipe.

Bearing this in mind, are there any better options for repair other than the denso tape option? Without the lead lining the collar would be too big to take a 4 inch connection, but is there something I could use to replace this lead gasket?

You could dry out the pipe and connector and then bed the lead lining and the connector into silicon and allow to set,
Depending on the thickness of the lead gasket you could throw it away and just use silicon

There is also the possibility the size of the soil connector is wrong in the first place.

might look neater than densotape.

The whole section is not on view anyway so appearances not too important :D

I'm not sure I've understood what was suggested correctly as I don't see how that will fix things.

The pan connector seals to the lead insert with no issues, what is happening is the lead insert terminates inside the 2 inches into the pipe just beyond the furtherst reach of the rubbber fins of the pan connector, the water then leaks underneath the lead and drips from between the pipe collar and the lead.

As above, use denso tape. Wear rubber gloves and when finished put some washing up liquid on the gloves and smooth the tapes around the pipe.

remove the lead, will the fins seal then? I believe lead was used as a seal on cast pipes poured into a joint molten and allowed to cool although how this was done on a horizontal pipe is beyond me.

Horizontal pipes were done by a temporary seal from a 1" diameter woven ASBESTOS rope :eek: or squirell tail. You've got a piece of lead pipe there sealed in with putty ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back