Leaking strap boss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went up the ladder to fix what i thought was a leak from a small crack in a waste pipe only to discover the leak is actuallty coming from a strap boss fitted further down the waste pipe.

The boss was fitted about a year and a half ago as part of a new boiler installation. ( the boss is for the boiler condensation pipe)

The leak was spotted by the downstairs flat owner some months ago and reported as intermittent ago at the time but it has become frequent now with the change in weather and more regular use of the boiler.

When the boiler is operating there is a steady drip which is falling down onto windows sill and wall of the flat directly below.

The work was carried out by a reputable company
My first point of call is to contact the company that did the install and see what they say.

But im thinking what you guys would do to fix something like this?

Would it just be a case of applying some gap filling solvent cement?

Sponsored Links
If the leak is coming from what appears to be a gap between the grey plastic boss and the white plastic pipe, then I'd suspect there is a blockage in the black plastic waste pipe, or that the waste pipe is running up hill.

If the white pipe is a loose fitting in the boss, it might need to be lengthened a bit.

The gap is there to prevent water in the waste pipe being forced back into the boiler if there is a blockage in the main down (soil) pipe.

Did the installer create a large enough hole in the soil pipe when he fitted the boss. ( did he even create a hole ? )

And assuming there is a hole what is there in place to prevent the escape of sewer gases. ( maybe not a problem if there are no windows near by )

Sponsored Links
If the leak is coming from what appears to be a gap between the grey plastic boss and the white plastic pipe, then I'd suspect there is a blockage in the black plastic waste pipe, or that the waste pipe is running up hill.

If the white pipe is a loose fitting in the boss, it might need to be lengthened a bit.

The gap is there to prevent water in the waste pipe being forced back into the boiler if there is a blockage in the main down (soil) pipe.
From what

Did the installer create a large enough hole in the soil pipe when he fitted the boss. ( did he even create a hole ? )

And assuming there is a hole what is there in place to prevent the escape of sewer gases. ( maybe not a problem if there are no windows near by )

I wasn't around when the installation was done so its hard to tell about the hole size.

I can only see the dripping water right at the bottom of of the lower strap as pictured so that suggests the installer may have mad the hole in the waste too small.

As far as i can tell there is no leak coming from the top of the boss but I think you guys have raised some questions that mean should do a bit more investigation to the source of the problem.

Strap bosses if fitted properly are pretty permanent right??

i.e it would have to be cut out (with the waste pipe) and a new section of pipe (with a new boss fitted) spliced into to its place?

re drainage the 32mm pipe coming down should be sealed into the boss so no gaps at all and the hole cut before that was installed should be nearly 60mm diameter and the boss solvent welded properly without any gap between the pipe and boss.

Is the white condensate pipe norally glued into the boss with solvent cement?

Im considering attempting to remove the boss with a jnr hacksaw blade/dremel, clean up the hole then re fit one of these

Just wondering what I'll need to do with the condesate pipe.... Possibly cut and re join a new bit if its glued in

Is the white condensate pipe norally glued into the boss with solvent cement?

Im considering attempting to remove the boss with a jnr hacksaw blade/dremel, clean up the hole then re fit one of these

Just wondering what I'll need to do with the condesate pipe.... Possibly cut and re join a new bit if its glued in
Most of the ones I've used the boss is solvent welded to the soil pipe and there's a rubber bung toreduce the boss hole to 40/32 as appropriate - https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-sp319g-strap-boss-grey-110mm/93635 . However I have also used a compression one more similar to the one you linked which was push fit into the end of a 110mm socket.
Your condensate pipe looks about 32mm so if you need to extend slightly then yes cut it shorter and use a straight connector to solvent weld a longer bit on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back