Leaking Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a new kitchen from Howdens about 4 years ago. The tap has started to leak. I’ve pointed to where it leaks in the photo.

How do I get it apart to find the problem?

It is behind a Belfast sink so removing the whole tap would not be easy. I wondered if there is any easy fix for this.
20231117_193442.jpg

Sponsored Links
Pull out the red/blue plastic cover. Beneath is a grub screw that a small Allen key ( hexagonal wrench) is used to remove it. The handle will then pull upward and off.
Then show us another pic. Replacing the valve may be needed ,or possible tightening the large nut that retains the valve.

Pull out the red/blue plastic cover. Beneath is a grub screw that a small Allen key ( hexagonal wrench) is used to remove it. The handle will then pull upward and off.
Then show us another pic. Replacing the valve may be needed ,or possible tightening the large nut that retains the valve.
Thanks,
I wondered about the red/blue cover. I'll investigate tomorrow. It is too cold wet and miserable outside for me to go to my tool store for an allan key and wrench tonight.

I thought I should update this. I removed the red/blue cover and the grub screw and found it difficult to get the top off as it was really firmly stuck. I eventually managed and found a large nut underneath, I've tightened up that nut and no more leaks.
Thank you very much terryplumb
20231205_114708.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Another update.
It leaked again so I removed the nut and the plastic unit underneath it. I cleaned the base of the unit and inside the metal tap. It now seems to be sealed properly.

1. If it leaks when both hot and cold are turned off, the leak is from the works you have already tightened.
2. If it only leaks when hot and / or cold are turned on, it is leaking from the point where the spout swivels. Fixing this requires the tap to be removed from the work top. If left, it is likely to rot the work top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back