Leaking Toilet :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings all,

my toilet has started to leak rather annoyingly, I've taken some photos but cant find my camera lead so I've had to use an illustration as an example of where the problem is occuring. It's pretty dirty round there, it almost looks as if its old disintegrated sealant? Is that perhaps the solution? Hopefully you can tell me,

Thanks as always,

Sponsored Links
It's hard to tell really, I just flushed it and didn't notice any surge so I'd say all the time. It's only slowly, but overnight obviously it builds up..

Probably needs a new doughnut.
Preferably iced, not sprinkled with sugar. ;)

Or the securing bolts have rusted, or need new sealing washers.

Sponsored Links
1 Hours work and £8 materials.
£408.00. Is that plus or including VAT?
1.gif

Hey Counter Boy, who said anything about charging, this is what the OP should aim for, for a fixed price, I would quote him £75.

Now get back to the counter, there are customers to serve. :LOL: :LOL:

Andy

what is hotlinking and why is the uhm getting arsey about it ?

The bolts don't look rusty, I'll change the washers to be sure as well.

Re; the donut, what's the proper name?

And another stupid question I know, but how the hell do I turn the water to my toilet off? (I assume I need to do that to change it) I've not seen anything inside the house..

picasso, hotlinking is where you paste an image straight from google for example instead of uploading it to your profile/the site. I think?

If its leaking all the time it will be the rubbers on the bolts or the seal where the syphon sits inside the cistern, look under the cistern for a service valve if not you will have to find out if its tank or mains feed.

doughnut is the name the large washers are known by.

standard doughnut washer about £1.40 their are around 5 styles in this and is most certantly your problem

I've not seen anything inside the house..
then look for stop cock in footway outside

If the toilet is feed from a tank it wont make any difference turning your main stopcock off, flush the toilet and see if the tank in your loft (if you have a tank in the loft) starts to fill, if its the doughnut leaking it normally only leaks when you flush the toilet.

There's nothing in the loft except Spiders..and christmas decorations. :cool:

if its the doughnut leaking it normally only leaks when you flush the toilet

Its leaking now and the toilet hasn't been flushed for about two hours :/

then it will be the bolts or the seal for the syphon but as your going to have to take the cistern off you may as well renew the doughnut at the same time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back