toilet leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mentioned this before but it's still a pain! A leak has occured at the base of the toilet bowl on the floor. It only occurs once evey few weeks and its driving me nuts as I've no idea where it's coming from. Before anyone asks, no I havent been missing the bowl :(

Sponsored Links
Close coupled or separate wc and cistern?

Dry everything off and flush the toilet a few times then feel around for the leak.

Sometimes wc pans can be porous if they are not glazed properly.

Leaks can be intermittent if the pot and cistern arent secure.

Check your balltap isnt leaking and the leak isnt coming from a poor joint on the overflow.

Condensation can mimic a leak if the toilet gets flushed a few times in a room where the humidity is high ... Unusual in summer though

'Leaks can be intermittent if the pot and cistern arent secure.'

Does this mean that if the pot is not secure to the floor it can leak around the base?

Sponsored Links
I know the leak is at the base of the toilet on the floor on the lino. Just cant figure out where its coming from

dustnbones said:
'Leaks can be intermittent if the pot and cistern arent secure.'

Does this mean that if the pot is not secure to the floor it can leak around the base?

Hairline cracks are usually obvious on inspection and porous pots are quite rare but do exist.
The chances are the leak is higher up and the water is running down from a higher place.
Once found a similar leak emanated from a pipe that ran under the floor under the toilet

On my own toilet although it is secure to the floor, moves ever so slightly when I put my immense weight on it. [Just flexing the cheap chipboard flooring] Over time this causes the flush pipe connection to work loose. I just have to push it back in every now and then. One day I'll get round to fitting a rubber flushpipe connection which should take the movement better but it will be a later job because I wont get paid for it!!!

Look closer for a tell tale mark down the side or back of the pot to ascertain the cause.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back