Leaking Towel Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First time poster and complete plumbing novice so apologies in advance...

Moved in to a brand new house about 3 months ago, all fine up to now. Returned back from a week away yesterday and noticed a puddle of water under the towel radiator in the bathroom. Nothing had been touched or changed since we came back or whilst we were away.

I cleaned the leak up to isolate where the water was coming from and it is dripping from the two valves at the bottom of the radiator. I cleaned the leak up again and no water dripped.

However the last 2 times we have turned the shower on the leak has returned, it drips out quite quickly to begin with, making a large puddle and then slows down. Therefore I assume turning the shower on seems to be correlated to the leak?

I think I am probably going to get a plumber in however I thought I would double check if anybody here had any suggestions first?

Also is it unusual for the shower being switched on to cause this? Or is there an obvious connection?

We have a combi boiler and an overhead rain showerhead.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You're right in that there shouldn't be a correlation, but it's possible that when you switch the combi on, it heats up the CH water slightly, and ups the pressure in the pipework.

Can you post a picture of the leaking valve, and show wher the leak is.

Hi,

First time poster and complete plumbing novice so apologies in advance...

Moved in to a brand new house about 3 months ago, all fine up to now.
***********************"
why not take the issue up with the house builder ?

You're right in that there shouldn't be a correlation, but it's possible that when you switch the combi on, it heats up the CH water slightly, and ups the pressure in the pipework.

Can you post a picture of the leaking valve, and show wher the leak is.

Thanks for the reply, I have attached some images of where the leak is coming from - Not sure if they are of much use?

IMG_6241.JPG
IMG_6242.JPG
IMG_6243.JPG

Sponsored Links

Apologies, that's my grammar. Brand new in the sense it's our new home, it isn't a new build.

Take off the sleeve covering the nuts, and see if you can tighten them a little. If that doesn't work, then you'll very likely need a plumber.

ah ,gotcha. I can't tell from pics where it is leaking from. the joint on pipe looks OK though.so likely valve to rad or from the valve spindle maybe

Take off the sleeve covering the nuts, and see if you can tighten them a little. If that doesn't work, then you'll very likely need a plumber.

ah ,gotcha. I can't tell from pics where it is leaking from. the joint on pipe looks OK though.so likely valve to rad or from the valve spindle maybe

Cheers! I'll have a go and see if it helps, if not I think a plumber is most likely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back