Leaking Velux fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I regularly get a leak from a Velux window during periods of intense rainfall and I finally managed to diagnose what I think would affect many others. So posting up to hopefully help.

In my case I cleared out all the gunk and moss, etc and then started testing. It seems that the rain is coming through the actual pane of glass, rather than from the frame. Water ends up coming in through each of the corners.

The fix for me was to use a nautical sealant and that's fixed it. Basically, you open the window into a roughly horizontal (or perhaps 1-2 degrees sloping towards closed) and then let the sealant do its thing. I used 3 rounds at 30 minute intervals during a dry day. This is not the same as silicone, it's a liquid that finds it's way into the gaps and sets there.

Not sure if I am allowed to mention product names, but I believe there are a few out there - the one I used was Captain Tolley's creeping crack cure.

The alternative was to replace the pane, which is almost half the cost of an entire unit, so this is a good option that you'd probably need to repeat every year or so. This obviously won't work if your frame or flashing is incorrectly installed, but if you have seals that are aging, it should work for less than a tenner.

Sponsored Links
This is a Velux GGSL06.

Attachments

• IMG_3138.JPG
    IMG_3138.JPG
    380.2 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_3139.JPG
    IMG_3139.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_3143.JPG
    IMG_3143.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 277
Names of products and even links are allowed, think the problem comes when you get recently joined new members that on their first post link to their own company or offer their services

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back