Leaking waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having just fitted a new trap to a basin, I decided to tackle another problem that has been bugging me for a while. With the plug in, the basin empties itself fairly rapidly. I took the waste out and notice there is no washer between the top flange and the inside of the basin - just a bit of silicone sealer. Is this normal and would I be better off getting some sort of washer to fit between the flange and the basin?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The plug isn't leaking, it is a click/clack plug with an O ring around the edge, the leak is definitely around the waste, not through it.
You sure it isn`t meant to do this as an anti flood method?

Sponsored Links
if the sink empties when the plug is in closed position I.e. you want to keep the sink full of water ,then the plug is not sealing in the waste ,or the waste is not sealed to the basin. silicone can be used to do this ,as yours had ,but seemingly not well enough to make an effective seal.I use a non setting sanitary putty ,but that's just my preference .

So if the water is not going down inside the pipe do you have a puddle on the floor?

It will get back in through the overflow on the waste.

I think you need to silicone it again. So do I, ours has been doing that for as long as I can remember!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back