Leaky bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hope someone can help me with this one. My girlfriend has a problem with a leaky bath. Basicly she had a new bathroom installed by a plumber who turned out to be a bit, no alot, of a cowboy, he came recommended but all that is another story.

Anyway, the problems are this, firstly the bath has been fitted with the existing shower situated at the rear of the bath because the lazy arse obviously could not be bothered to put the extra pipework in so that the bath was the other way around, now this bath has what I can only describe as a lip around the top edge, this curves around at the back of the bath meaning that there are recesses in each corner, when the shower is used these recesses fill up with water that can't drain anywherh but down the side of the bath and through the kitchen ceiling!

This moves me on to the seccond problem, I decided to reseal the bath with silicone on Saturday and discovered that because the bath was obviously slightly too long to fit, this guy has cut back into the bathroom wall to get it in. When he has fitted the bath, rather than patch up the hole he has just left it, tiled down as far as he could, leaving a gap of about ½ inch which he has covered with a plastic trim that was held in place by silicon (no wonder it leaks).

Anyway, my question is this, firstly I have patched this up with silicon as best I can (that is taking ages to cure and no wonder) but I know this won't last, I saw some stuff called "no more big gaps" at the weekend and wondered if anyone had used it and if it would be any good for filling in this big gap?

Secondly, does anyone have any suggestions of how I could stop these recesses from filling with water? I know this is a longshot but someone might have a solution.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks Nige. How big of a job is it to do that (not that I think I would tackle it myself). I had already suggested it to my gf that this will be the best long term solution but she is on a tight budget at the mo and is worried about the cost.

Sponsored Links
would not use No More Big Gaps as seal needs to be flexible to move with the bath. Use a good quality sealant such as Dow Corning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back