Leaky chrome pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm using chrome plated pipe and compression fittings inside a kitchen cabinet and am finding it very difficult getting rid of leaks. It's 15mm pipework and I'm turning 4-5 flats, which has worked fine for me in the past on ordinary copper. Where there's a leak I will undo it, put plenty of boss white round the back of the olive and tighten it up hard again. Sometimes the leak goes, sometimes it's very minor but still there and I try again. It's all a bit iffy and I'm concerned it might come back again when the kitchen is finished.

The problem pipe run is at mains pressure. With pipework at lower pressures I have no problem. Is there something I should know about chrome - like don't use it in mains pipework? I haven't taken any special steps like removing the plating at the joint, something I know you have to do for soldered and push fit fittings. Is it OK to use it with the plating under the olive? I don't want to overtighten but maybe I'm not tightening hard enough. Anything else?

Sponsored Links
Boss white cant be used on drinking water pipes dont forget, try brass olives for a deeper 'bite'. :idea:

shouldn't be a problem not removing the chrome i never do on compression fittings.

is the pipe damaged at all, ie pitted etc.
try using copper olives if your not already.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't have removed the plating mate, that's probably your problem, your reducing the OD of the pipe and thus the olive is now to big.

You could always use type B fiitings swaged ( or is it A?) but if your a DIYer you really don't want to go there :LOL:

Boss white cant be used on drinking water pipes dont forget, try brass olives for a deeper 'bite'. :idea:

Sorry, my mistake. I'm using Water Hawk.

Would it possible to relpace the olive by pulling the old one off and putting a brass one in its place, all without cutting the pipe? I don't want to shorten the pipe.

I'm only a simple diy'er but I used some chrome pipe a while ago and the soft copper olives didn't seem to be as good a connection as the brass ones. I tested my theroy on some cut off's and I tightend a copper olive up hard on one side and a brass on the other, undid the fittings and I could wiggle the copper olive off the chrome pipe with the pliers and it had hardly made a mark on the pipe. The brass however had bitten into the chrome and made a better connection in my opinion.

Just my 2p worth. :)

I've used the fittings as they come. These are ordinary CP fittings intended for CP pipes - elbows, tees etc. but they came with copper olives. What is also true is I had no trouble with the stop ends I fitted for the first fix. On checking, it turns out that these had brass olives so it seems this is where the problem lies. Thanks guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back