Leaky mains stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, this is my first post so be nice :)

I have just installed a new kitchen suite and part of it involved replacing all the water piping to reposition the sink. Whilest trying to turn the main off i totally snapped the brass handle off.

i thought nothing of it at the time and just turned it off in the street, however, it is now leaking quite bad. there is a constant stream of water coming out from the bottom joint. I've tried tightening it up to no avail, and also tried taking it off to tape up and redo. But it seems totally welded tight.

what is going to be the easiest way to repair it? cut the pipe and replace a section including a shiney new stop cock. or is there a knack to getting stuck nuts off.

thanks for ur replies

Sponsored Links
is it on copper pipe? About how old is it?

When you say the bottom joint, do you mean where the top part of the tapwork (the moving parts) are screwed into the base of the tap?

Have you got a pair of large spanners that are a good fit?

Is it one of these (with a sloping part at one side)?
p1073343_l.jpg

its probly as old as the house, its 22mm blue/grey plastic pipe that comes out of the floor in the cupboard downstairs.
by bottom joint i mean the joint closest to the floor (the pipe comes out of the floor into the ceiling)

tempted to just go to b&q and re-plumb it with an easy turn stop cock.

I don't know how old your house is :rolleyes:

If you mean that it's leaking where it fastens to the incoming pipe, then you are going to have to undo the joint, whether you fit a new one or not.

You will need a big spanner (or something) round the tap to brace it in the opposite direction to the way you're turning the nut.

If it's leaking from there, you have probably damaged it. Perhaps by twisting the tap and stressing the pipe.

If you post a photo, that will help.

Sponsored Links
wow, they have come out quite large, u can see i tried taping it (silly boy) but i was desperate, i have tried tightening it up and trid undoing it but it doesnt budge either way.

can you make a mark to show where the leak is from?

Are the black nuts plastic?

p.s. I will have to stand back now, that looks like hard plastic pipe which I am not familar with.

the leaks are coming from below the nut where the pipe goes into it. Where i have taped it. It is indeed plastic, which i find strange, but i think im just gonna hack saw it out replace the section with new pipe and a new stop cock, with new washers :)

I'd suggest you post a new Q, headed "how to connect to rigid plastic pipe" as there may be extra things you need to know.

You may have problems with this black pipe. If its the type I am thinking of it is a size that is no longer made and you will have to trek round to try to find an adapter. The first place I would go to is Drain Center. If possible you need to take a sample of it with you for size matching.

Hard to tell but looks like solvent welded couplings, Like gas4you said try local ,Get in touch with one of the local reputable plumbers they may have some kicking about in the back of the workshop.Looks like Durapipe or something similar,If its solvent your better leaving it to "cure" for 24hrs before turning water back on.
Will also need obviously in date cement and solvent cleaner.
Maybe if one is having a fortunate day one may be able to procure from their local merchants a mechanical coupling good luck me old son let us know how this can o worms develops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back