Leaky P trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have checked the gaskets and seals, they were grubby but seemed ok. Applied some sealant stuff and tightened everything back up. But, I don’t think the P trap looks right in general and maybe I should consider replacing/rerouting the trap - thoughts?

IMG_0402.jpeg
IMG_0401.jpeg

Sponsored Links
@CBW the bit ringed in red is the bit that was leaking. But this type of u bend section in what should be a P trap below the out flow section looks wrong. It’s also compression on a straight section which I think is wrong as when it backs up it’s always going to leak isn’t it?

IMG_0408.jpeg

Sponsored Links
No, if it’s been installed correctly, it shouldn’t leak, they’ve been designed not to unless under pressure.

I've had trouble in the past with cheap/unbranded traps leaking and now only ever use McAlpine. But do ensure all joints are straight, meaning not stressed with sideways pressure.

Looks like its under slight stress, the outgoing waste pipe is on the wrong angle, and so the trap has been forced to fit. Try another Trap, see if that fits without having to force anything, if still no good, then the black pipe needs realigning.

You may just need to cut a little off the black outflow waste to pull that straight.

It actually doesn't look quite right though, almost as if that section that's leaking should be different. May be a bespoke dual trap kit, which rarely ever last long term. Usually the section that's leaking wouldn't have a connection quite like that.

As suggested - I'd be tempted to just change that for a good quality 11/2 -2 bowl sink trap kit.

Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back