Leaky Pipe, Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have issues with a leaky pipe under my kitchen sink. The leak started when we had sub-zero temps a couple of months back. I managed to identify the bit of pipe in question as being the bit which leads out through the wall to the outside tap. I turned the valve(?) off and that stopped the leak, but now that we're getting into spring I want to be able to use the outside tap again without flooding my kitchen.

On the attached photo, the leak appears to be coming from the bit I've marked. It does indeed look like the 'washer' there isn't a great fit, but it's the same washer that's been there since the house was built (five years ago) so I'm not sure whether or not it the freezing temps would have somehow combined with the washer not fitting right and resulted in the leak?

Essentially, what I want to ask you clever people is whether I just need to change the washer, and perhaps add some plumbers tape, or whether there's something else I should also be aware of, e.g. the pipes themselves looking suspect, or anything like that?

Thanks in advance :)
Leaky Pipe.jpg

Sponsored Links
It’s not a washer, it’s part of the fitting, which is strained, causing your leak. The pipe from the isolation valve to the elbow needs to be longer.

Thank you Chris and Terry for your answers. Would I be correct in presuming that extending the pipe would essentially require a replacement piece of pipe, which would need cut to the correct size? If so, I think this is getting beyond my skill level, and I would probably have to get a professional in.

Sponsored Links
It just needs the push fit elbow replacing. Sounds like the outside tap froze and it’s popped the fitting.

If you look at the elbow on the left of picture you'll see how far it has popped out.
Just remove the elbow and refit to see if that works first.

Next winter leave the tap outside open and switch off via the isolator

It just needs the push fit elbow replacing. Sounds like the outside tap froze and it’s popped the fitting.

And... Whoever, fitted that isolation valve, is not a plumber. It should not have had, or needed - PTFE tape wound onto the valve threads.

And... Whoever, fitted that isolation valve, is not a plumber. It should not have had, or needed - PTFE tape wound onto the valve threads.
Ah, that was me. The original valve failed maybe a couple of years back and I replaced it myself. I can't remember much about it, but I guess I was a bit paranoid about further leaks. (y)

Looks like a tectite fitting. There's loads of videos online about how to remove them and if you can get it off ok its dead easy to replace it with a new one. You can split the pipe at the iso valve if you need to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back