Leaky pump problem - Help required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be grateful if anyone could offer any assistance.

I have just discovered that my pump is leaking.

I have included a few image sin the hope that this might make more sense to a person wiser then myself. If you look at image 2 it contains an arrow to show where the pump is leaking from. It is where the curved part meets the body. There is no visible damage, there is a slight recess where one part meets the other which is where the water is coming from.

The heating and hot water are still operational.

Any ideas on how to remedy the issue would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Oops, forgot to mention that the pump is very hot to touch (has been for some time) and the cylinder in the loft has been discharging some water from the overflow pipe.

Not sure if either of these points are relevant but thought I would mention just in case.

Thanks.

You could try tightening the 2 allen key bolts on the pump head otherwise its new pump time. The pumps do get really hot in use anyway. Cylinder in the loft?? I think you'll find it will be a cold water storage tank or a feed and expansion tank, if its overflowing you need to get it looked at..

Close the gate valves to the pump.
Undo the allen nuts from the pump and give the pump
a few taps to break the seal and pump will withdraw.

Apply a reasonable amount of hawk white or similar thread sealer.
To the pump housing seal.

Reseat the pump and tighten down evenly and hope for the best.

Otherwise new pump time.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the assistance guys.

I will try to remove and refit the pump to see if this makes any difference.

Just in case this does not work I need to look at new pumps sooner rather than later as the leak flow in rapidly increasing.

I have tried to look on the Wilo website to see if this model is still available but it does not appear to be so I am looking at alternatives.

Nearest screwfix to me has this option in stock, does anyone know if this will suffice for the requirements?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-central-heating-pump-a-rated-230v/77771 or should I be looking at this option instead - http://www.screwfix.com/p/wilo-yonos-pico-4169842-commercial-central-heating-pump/83459

Be grateful if anyone can assist in this regard.

None of them. Grundfos Alpha 2 15/50, bit pricier but much more long lasting. Retail at £120.

Thanks Gas2Air, do you state this as you do not rate the items listed or is this owing to the fact that they are simply not compatible?

I am literally 10 minutes drive from nearest Screwfix and these are the only two that they have in stock. Will either they not do the job?

What do you mean compatible? All pumps are sized to replace conventional ones needless of make.

I don't rate Wilo and take many out after 2-3 years. They will do the job, but for a shade more on price fit a far superior pump as I said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back