Leaky Roof or not?

Aba

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP!! I have a water mark on one of my ceilings which is directly above the loft. I had a roofer come to check and he did not think it was anything to do with the roof even before he'd had a look but to put my mind at rest, he put his ladder up against the front of house and climbed to the top of it and looked. I don't even think he saw much from the angle where the ladder was because its an akward position - he would have had to walk on top of one level of roof to get to the valley where it points to the leak. Anyway he said he could not see any obvious cause for the leak and he should know because he's been in the business for over 30 years so the best thing for me to do was to look out for the leak when it rains. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be ripped off but it seem to me that he was not interested in finding out!

Anyway, The next roofer accessed the roof from the back of the house walked to the front where the valley is found a broken tile(which he took a photo to show me) and said most of the nails where the valley is were lose. Is this right? He said he could use a sealant to patch it but that will only be temporary. He quoted me £95.00 to re-point the valley at the front and broken tile or £150.00 to re-point 2 valleys and broken tile.What I want to know is:-
Could this be the cause of the leak? as there is no obvious dampness or leak in the loft but most of the felt is hanging down from where I think the water is coming in and have stained the ceiling directly below it.
About the quote - Is this a fair price?

Sponsored Links
Firstly you do not re-point anything in roofing, it has to be taken off, cleaned down and re-bedded.
Secondly do you have insulation over the loft hatch? It could well be condersation.

Firstly you do not re-point anything in roofing, it has to be taken off, cleaned down and re-bedded.
Secondly do you have insulation over the loft hatch? It could well be condersation.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I do have insulation in the loft. Maybe will be best to have a third opinion.

Sponsored Links
This is a DIY forum, not an 'Employ someone else to do it for me forum'.

If I had water marks on my ceiling I would go into the loft when it was raining for clues and if no findings, I would look outside up a ladder when dry for more clues, as any other sensible person would.

Is this how you dress up at the weekend wavetrain?

medieval-st.-george-crusader-costume-220-p.jpg

:LOL:

If I had water marks on my ceiling I would go into the loft when it was raining for clues and if no findings, I would look outside up a ladder when dry for more clues, as any other sensible person would.

Wavetrain, you are rude and unhelpful! I suggest you stay off this forum if you have no useful suggestions to add!

Wavetrain, you are rude and unhelpful! I suggest you stay off this forum if you have no useful suggestions to add!

In fairness, this is actually a DIY Forum to support those people who wish to do it themselves. Its not predominantly an advice Forum for those deciding if a quote they've received off a tradesman is worthy or not.

He wasn't the only one to suggest you actually ventured up into your loft yourself to see if you could pinpoint your leak either. Have you done that yet?

Get another couple of quotes!

No, thought not! :rolleyes:

How about some photos?

In fairness, this is actually a DIY Forum to support those people who wish to do it themselves. Its not predominantly an advice Forum for those deciding if a quote they've received off a tradesman is worthy or not.

He wasn't the only one to suggest you actually ventured up into your loft yourself to see if you could pinpoint your leak either. Have you done that yet?

Get another couple of quotes!

No, thought not! :rolleyes:

How about some photos?

Sorry, did not make it clear at the begining. I was up in the loft to investigate but did not find any obvious cause I even prodden around the area even lifting the fibreglass matting to check for stains or dampness and there is no tell tale signs! That is the reason for the roofer - to have a professional intake on it! I suppose the one broken tile could be the cause of it all although I cannot find the leak from the loft!
Thanks all for you suggestions and advice.

I hope you have read FMT post below yours. As you could not be bothered to act on my advice, it looks like it is you who is rude and lazy with no respect for those who are more knowlegable than yourself. Also, as person who has only joined this forum, do not tell me what I should be doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back