Leaky tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing a couple of new radiators and BOTH the tails of BOTH are leaking (Grr). I've followed the instructons, wrapped a good 3-4 turns of ptfe around the male thread, used a proper radiator alan key and fixed everything good and tight.

Now I hope I got the term right, by tail I mean the threaded piece that screws into the bottom of the rad that the valve attaches to.

The instructons say that "there's no flange in the rad, so if you use PTFE, then it should be sealed if screwed halfway in"... hmmm

Well, I tightned it all the way up, but not overtight. Could that be the problem?

Just draining everything down and having a cuppa...

Anyone got any tips on getting this right? The rest of the fitting and pipes seem to be dry, which is someting at least! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I think that's probably the problem - saw someone else on here used 18 wraps.

Luckily, I went out and got myself a new roll of ptfe today to I can go crazy with it.

Someone else said tighten the tail "four finger tight" - anyone else got any tips of tail tightness? I want to get that bit right this time so I don't have to take the whole thing apart again.

With enough PTFE on the threads you should find that you meet resistance when tightening after a few turns. Go a few turns past that and it will feel its tightened up. You shouldnt have to force it

Sponsored Links
and always put it on clockwise or it will unwind its self when you screw it in

Job done! Toasty and warm now... kicking back with a G&T and listening to the storm raging outside.

Thanks all for your help!

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back