Lean to......How to?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Well, I need to construct a lean to over a path between my house and the boundary fence. I will of course be checking planning requirements and with the neighbour first.

My idea is to use polycarbonate sheeting for the roof, but I'm not sure what the best way forward is for the walls, cladding or drainage. I was thinking of using WBP with batons which I can stick insulation between and I'd like to clad it in white overlap boards, but not timber, I'd like to use those boards they use for cladding houses which don't need painting regularly. I'm not even sure where to get them or what they're called - any advice on this?

Drainage - to use the space efficiently we need to go right up to the fence. The polycarbonate roof will be sloping down to it from our house. Are there any drainage solutions out there which would help? Or do I really need to worry about it - can I just let water drip off and soak into the gravel by the fence?

Many thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
You want to put a gutter on the side to catch the water then a downpipe to direct it somewhere.

Google Cedral Wetherboard for the cladding.

You want to put a gutter on the side to catch the water then a downpipe to direct it somewhere.

Google Cedral Wetherboard for the cladding.
Putting a gutter on will reduce the width of the lean to a bit too much unless I can find a clever way to integrate it....

Yes, I've already found Marley Cedral, can anyone advise is it the best to go for? Also, I take it you can fix this stuff just like fixing normal timber i.e. with nails/screws or does it need special fixings/methods?

I need to build a shed in the near furure also.....having done a load of research, I'm thinking 75x50 CLS studwork with wbp on the inner, solid insulation (kinspan or whatever) then would it be best to clad the outer of the frame with wbp before the cladding on top, or just go with cladding onto the studs over the insulation?

I guess it'd be wise to fit a sheet of damp proof membrane over the outside of the panel before the cladding also?

A breathable membrane then the cladding. Are you heating the shed? I can’t see the point in insulating it if it not heated.

I used a similar cladding from Eurocell called Duracid, that just nailed on.

Sponsored Links
I would build it with a gutter -you dont want it running down your lean to or draining into the neighbour.

You can build it with a gutter that is built in so it doesnt protrude out, it just requires a bit of detailing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back