Lean-to roof design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning on utilising the the side access down the side of my house (end of terrace) by building a lean-to for storing gardening equipment and my bike (limited space in the garden for a shed).

The space is bordered on opposite sides by a retaining wall (currently about shoulder height high) and the side of the house (with 2 protruding chimney breasts) which are not parallel. There are gates at either end. Something like this plan view:

Ideally I'd like the roof to be clear to provide as much light as possible.

Could anyone provide any advice on the most suitable structure of the frame and materials to use? I'd prefer glass to polycarbonate but am wary of the weight and am unsure how best to fix panes to timber trusses and to create the best seal against the house wall.

Thanks,
Richard

Edit: Image no longer upside down!

Sponsored Links
If you have your heart set on a glazed roof then you are best off using a proprietary glass roof system similar to that of polycarb, where the glazing bars are made of either plastic or aluminium.

I say this because a timber and glass roof will be a maintenance nightmare particularly down that side and would soon become problematic.

PVC window companies could supply only or supply and fit. Or research Glazed roof systems and DIY the lot.

Keep the gutter wholly on your property.

What may be a problem is the design. Either you stagger the roof sections or you fill the taper completely which would mean a twisted and tapered roof covering. Not sure whether this would work with glass but would defo' with polycarb.

Thanks noseall.

I'm after a glazed roof as there is no opportunity to fit normal windows on any of the boundaries.

The main issue I'm facing is the level of detail required - given the non-parallel boundaries and that the chimney breasts aren't evenly spaced - so the design would need to be bespoke. I thought a timber frame would be most adaptable.

I've put in plenty of research time but am not clear about all the components that would be needed. Any suggestions on good websites that might set these out?

Re maintenance & guttering: the neighbour's fence is set back over a metre from the retaining wall so these should not be an issue. Profile view:

Thanks again!

Okay. I think I'll likely be going with a polycarb self supported roof that I can cut to fit the angle of the retaining wall.

From what I have read, the roof components I'll need are:
1. Polycarb sheets (probably 16mm)
2. Wall plate
3. Self supporting bars (plus caps)
4. F connectors
5. Sheet closures
6. Anti-dust tape

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Additionally, could anyone offer advice on:
1. fitting the wall plate to the house wall as the chimney breasts protrude from the wall to about 110mm? I doubt it's possible to cut the plate to fit as would surely lose seal.
2. I will need to raise the height of the retaining wall to above head height - what would be an appropriate method to fix the roof end to the top of the wall?[/list]

Sponsored Links
Okay. I think I'll likely be going with a Additionally, could anyone offer advice on:
1. fitting the wall plate to the house wall as the chimney breasts protrude from the wall to about 110mm? I doubt it's possible to cut the plate to fit as would surely lose seal.

If anyone could offer advice as to the best method for fixing the roof to the wall as above it would be greatly appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back