Lean to shed roof long and narrow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

So I'm planning my shed at the moment which will be a lean to off the house wall. Its 2.8M along the wall then a long 4.8M projection. So the rafters will likely be at least 5M.

Like everyone, I want to keep the costs down. A purlin or purlins might be the answer? Would that be a case of fitting a fairly big purlin across the width (wall plate to wall plate) in the middle of the projection ? How would I know how big to use and how would it fix to the wall plates?

And say the rafters turn out to be 5M - would having one purlin in the middle mean I could consult the spanning tables for 2.5M ? I have a feeling its not as simple as that.....

Roof material not 100% decided upon but probably something light like felt shingle.

Sponsored Links
And say the rafters turn out to be 5M - would having one purlin in the middle mean I could consult the spanning tables for 2.5M
Yes

A purlin or purlins might be the answer? Would that be a case of fitting a fairly big purlin across the width (wall plate to wall plate) in the middle of the projection
Maybe you could get away with a dbl 6x2 as a purlin and 4 x 2 for the rafters

It would be wise to lay out the side frame studwork so there is a stud below the purlin

Thanks Notch. If I did that, would the purlin be horizantal from side to side resting on the wall plates? Something like the attached ?
Supposed to be side view so only showing one of the rafters.

Attachments

• IMG20231103222356.jpg
    IMG20231103222356.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 29
Thanks Notch. If I did that, would the purlin be horizantal from side to side resting on the wall plates? Something like the attached ?
Supposed to be side view so only showing one of the rafters.
If you are doing it as per your sketch the purlin would normally be set at the roof pitch as well as the purlin props - but If it’s a shed, I’d make the framework to be the underside of the rafters, then set the purlin into the framework, in which case set the purlin vertically

I suppose it depends on the pitch, but if you are doing this under permitted development it can’t be very high

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me out.

I've updated my back-of-an-envelope and put the purlin directly supporting the rafters. Not sure I fully understood you but am I closer to what you are suggesting or have I got it totally wrong (!) ?

Won't get into planning etc just yet but pitch will be as low as I can but could be as high as 15 or 20 degrees.

Attachments

• IMG20231103233058.jpg
    IMG20231103233058.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 26

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back