Leaning gate pillar with break in middle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hi
We have a ~8ft gate pillar which is leaning outwards by about 2 degrees off plumb into the street as in the images. The first 1-2ft of the pillar is plumb, after which there is an opening in the brickwork on the side of the pillar opposite to the direction of lean, and above that is where the 2 degrees of lean is. There is no obvious crack on the side the pillar is leaning, but this is presumably being compressed. This seems to have been cause by weight on the iron fence attached to the pillar from conifers which have now been removed. Is this something that can be straightened and reinforced or does it need to be rebuilt?
Thanks
Adam

Attachments

• inside crack.JPG
    inside crack.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 205
  • side view inside.JPG
    side view inside.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 205
  • side view.JPG
    side view.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 759
Sponsored Links
You could get someone in a large wagon to reverse into it and see how you get on! Me I'd just rebuild it.

Hmm ok thanks. If we did get it straight what would be there options for keeping it in position?
Cheers Adam

Build it hollow, rebar resin fixed into the footing and coming up the middle, fill the centre with concrete.

Sponsored Links
You might able to rescue it, depending on whether it has a central core (at that age you might be lucky and find a nice old RSJ in there) - take the cap off and have a look. If it's just filled with concrete that will be cracked as well and you'll need to rebuild.

By the straightness of the gate (image3) I'm thinking it has had this lean for a long time?
side-view-jpg.255119

I would be thinking of a good deep re-pointing.

Those gates are doing a lot of work on that slender pillar. We'd have concreted a steel beam into the floor and set the gates up on this (with extended hinges welded to beam) then clad the lot in masonry.

Those gates are doing a lot of work on that slender pillar. We'd have concreted a steel beam into the floor and set the gates up on this (with extended hinges welded to beam) then clad the lot in masonry.
overkill. imo

overkill. imo
A steel post concreted into the ground, is a standard set-up for tall steel gates. All decent gate producers recommend it.

To the inexperienced and those lacking in any mathematical nous would assume heavy gates can be swung on any old brick pillar. What your opinion does not tell you is that the gate itself - when it becomes a moving object - has infinitely greater kinetic energy. It's usually the top hinge that bears the greatest toll and has the least resistance. The masonry above this point is often not enough and fails.

please refresh your knowledge of forum rules

Last edited by a moderator:
assume heavy gates can be swung on any old brick pillar.
Who mentioned bricks? And who said they’re heavy enough to justify steel reinforced pillars? Your’e talking nonsense. That gate looks 41 “wide . given it’s an 84” drive . How heavy do you think one gate is ? Stop being silly.

Considering you are in Spain and their love of shuttering / rebar construction methods, then a bit of persuasion with something heavy maybe able to realign it.

Considering you are in Spain and their love of shuttering / rebar construction methods, then a bit of persuasion with something heavy maybe able to realign it.
looks like brick in the picture.

the gate looks plumb to me - does it still open and close OK ? if it does then just leave well alone, repoint it slap some render on and jobs a good'n

the gate looks plumb to me - does it still open and close OK ? if it does then just leave well alone, repoint it slap some render on and jobs a good'n
Gates and doors aren't designed to slam, but slam they do. They will be repairing that pillar forever and a day unless they re-build it more robustly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back